For a complete guide to finding a job, you’ll find everything you need in these two websites:
Money hub has extensive information on job hunting including; CV and cover letter templates, tips on job hunting, a complete list of NZ employers currently hiring students, links to job finding sites such as Trademe and Student Job Search and much more.
https://www.moneyhub.co.nz/common-job-interview-questions-students.html has a good guide for preparing for interviews
Careers.govt.nz has a ton of information on:
- finding work (how to search for jobs, links to vacancy websites, free job-hunters e-book, becoming work ready, job hunting tips)
- creating CV’s, cover letters and profiles (templates, how to write an application letter etc)
- interviews (getting ready for an interview, tips on answering questions, questions you can ask etc)
- employments agreements, resignation letters
- what’s happening in the job market (salary guide, jobs in skill shortage)
If you don’t already have one – you will need an IRD number. You can find out more here
Benefits of Volunteering
(Information updated 06/05/2020)
The job market is going to look very different post COVID-19 and you may find it harder to secure employment as the economy moves into recession. If you cannot find a paid job right away, you may want to consider volunteering. Here are 9 good reasons to do volunteer work:
- It looks good on your C.V and your LinkedIn profile https://www.linkedin.com/profile
- It may give you some good references
- It gets you out of the house
- You make new contacts and friends
- Those friends might just know someone who is looking for an employee
- It gives you some structure and meaning to your life, especially if you volunteer for a cause close to your heart.
- It may turn into a paid position at the organisation.
- It may open up a whole new career for you, as you try out some work that you may not have been able to do in the paid workforce.
- It gives you transferable skills that employers are seeking.
LinkedIn can be a useful tool to use when job hunting. You can find out more about creating your LinkedIn profile here